lørdag den 7. februar 2009

Taking care of stuff

Our wonderful across-the-street neighbor donated a tomato-plant orchard to the monastery. This was a whole new world for me: tomatoes in a rainbow of colors and a spectrum of sizes; some good for salads, some for sauces, some for pickling, some for frying, some for pizza...

The small, firm, tiger-striped tomatoes were my favorites for any and every purpose, and the plum-shaped yellow together with the plum-shaped red brightened any salad bowl.

I learned how to take care of the plants by watching Thomas. Because of my back, I couldn't pinch or water all of them at any one go, so I visited them a few at a time, spaced out through the day. I learned to love that pungent tomato-stalk smell on my fingers!

When things need taking care of, we take care of them. We just open ourselves up to their various needs and do these various, necessary jobs. We figure out how and when.

Like cleaning. I've never understood why some people don't enjoy cleaning. We get to practice awareness AND see an immediate result; we learn to ration our energy AND play with water!

Ingen kommentarer: